I tell everyone, “I was a gardener before I was a paper artist,” and this is why my flowers come as close to nature as I can possibly make them. Not only dimension, but the paper I use, products for shading and coloring, and today, embossing powder to create a natural-looking wreath to set my flowers on is important to me. Going that extra distance makes me HAPPY!
This project today started with creating an unique background using a plastic mesh bag that I bought new potatoes in. Dabbing Distress Ink over the bag made the interesting pattern that I placed my wreath on. I don’t throw anything away that may be used for backgrounds, something I’m sure you can relate to.
LET’S GET STARTED
I trimmed Colored Soft Finish card stock/Bright Orange into a 6-inch square card, then, the layer was trimmed to 5 1/2-inch square using Soft Finish White 100 lb card stock. I also die cut two Round Grapevine Wreaths in this same card stock.
I used Distress Ink/Crushed Olive to dab over the bag for my background.
Fill in as much as you can, but the “shading” created by dabbing makes for an interesting look.
Assemble the card. (Technique #1!)
To create the natural-looking wreath, I first colored the white card stock all over with PanPastel/Raw Umber. Next, I used Distress Ink/Walnut Stain and shaded darker area. Finally, I used Distress Ink/Weathered Wood to add more depth. I also colored the underside with the Walnut Stain. Repeat this process with the second wreath.
Once I was satisfied with the color, I used Tsukenko’s VersaMark ink and dabbed all over the wreath. Then, I used Ranger’s Super Fine Detail/Clear embossing powder to sprinkle over the wreath. I used a heat gun to set the embossing powder.
I used a toothpick to dab Beacon’s Kid Choice glue on the underside in several place and set it in place on my card. Repeat the gluing process with the second wreath, off-setting it on top of the first.
My inspiration today was my beautiful Viburnum bushes blooming outside. Spring has definitely come early here in North Carolina, even though this weekend Mother Nature is still reminding us she’s in charge!
Of course, I don’t have a Viburnum in my Garden Notes collection, but I do have a Hydrangea and this variety certainly comes close to that. After die cutting just the “ball” of the bloom twice, I glued them onto the wreath and added the leaves, shading them as I have instructed in my videos. Die cut petals in Soft Finish White 85 lb card stock.
Once the petals have set, I use PanPastels/Bright Yellow Green Shade and a soft brush to add color to the petals to resemble the flower. (Technique #3!)
California Poppies, that grow wild along the freeways, have a little different look than the Oriental Poppies that I have in my Garden Notes collection. They consist of 4 petals, not 6 or 7, so I trimmed the smaller petal from the die cut piece. (Technique #4!)
Shade the petals in the center, using PanPastels/Orange. Shape, pinch and bend as directed on the videos. The stamen is rolled and the filaments are lightly dipped into glue and then, Yellow Pollen. I added a couple of Pansies to balance the color on the left side. Finally, I die cut a few branches, colored, shaded, and embossed as I did the wreath and added some more green leaves. I finished it off by stamping one of the quotes from “Seeds of Thought–Take Time.” This quote reminds me no matter how crazy life gets, be happy!
Elizabeth Craft Designs Supplies
CountryScapes Woods 1/Branche #992
Seeds of Thought–Take Time ##RS008
Beacon’s Kids Choice Glue
Ranger Distress Ink/Walnut Stain, Weathered Wood, Forest Moss